Portage and preschool provision may include:
* Home visits, usually one per week to two weeks: working with parents to assess the child’s current development, then jointly to plan, demonstrate and review appropriate play activities.
* Signposting to other sources of information/support.
* Introducing families to appropriate group activities. Water Confidence, Music and Movement and LD North East Early Years Project “drop in” play sessions.
* Support to parents when considering their child’s future education options.
* Assessment and written report on nursery/school entry.
* Multi-disciplinary liaison to ensure a co-ordinated response to a child’s identified needs. Supporting the Early Help Assessment (EHA) and Team Around Child/Team Around Family meetings.
* Advice and support to staff in any pre-school setting that a child may attend at 2 or 3 years of age.
* Working in partnership with Speech and Language therapy to deliver Early Bird parent workshops for nursery aged children diagnosed with autism – 3 times yearly.
* Partnership with physiotherapy and LD North East Early Years Project(supported by Children in Need) to run the Music and Movement group.
Other duties include
* Liaison with Specialist Provisions and Additionally Resources Provisions for children with identified additional needs.
* Training and supervision of Portage Home Visitors – twice yearly training workshops offered to early years providers.
* Consultative work with Early Years Service Providers.
* Contribution to sub committee of the governing body of Beacon Hill School.
* Meeting with providers in other Local Authorities.
* Membership of/registration with NPA.
* Responsibility for the Early Years Inclusion Funding (EYI) allocating funded support for 2 and 3 year old in settings. You can find more information in This Document
Referrals to the Portage Service can be made:
* By parents.
* By anyone working with the child who has parental permission.
Referred child aged 0-2 years who does not attend any Early Years setting:
* Initial visit following referral
* Allocation of Portage Home Visitor following parent request.
Referred child aged 2-3 years individual consideration of each case:
* Initial visit following referral to determine attendance at nursery, whether nursery has portage trained staff, EYI application submitted etc.
* Portage Home Visitor may be allocated to support home and/or nursery setting.
Referred Child aged 3 years+
* Initial visit offered for advice and guidance only.
* Signposting to LD:North East Early Years Project.
Beacon Hill School
Rising Sun Cottages
Tel: 0191 6433023